Guided steps to delivering a Brillium assessment to Thinkific students.
This article provides steps for Thinkific users, with a Brillium trial or paid Brillium subscription, through the process of defining a Brillium Assessment, and configuring it for delivery to Thinkific students. Following these steps will ensure a successful Integration with the Thinkific platform.
Create a Brillium Assessment
- Log into a Brillium Workspace
- Select Assessments from the menu
- Select [+ Add New] to create a new assessment
- Choose an Assessment Name and Assessment Type
- Select Save
When a new Assessment is created, Brillium automatically generates a Unique ID for the assessment (also referred to as an "Exam ID" in Thinkific), which is displayed at the top of the screen. This Unique ID can be changed, if desired.
Be sure to note the Unique ID, it will be required later when configuring the Exam lesson within Thinkific.
Once an assessment name and type are selected, the Assessment Builder screen is presented. Assessment builder is where all of assessment settings, including Topics, Questions, and Integration options are selected for a Brillium assessment. To configure an assessment, features and options are selected among the tabs presented toward the top of the screen.
When defining integration options to connect a Brillium assessment with Thinkific, only options located under the Properties, Requirements, Feedback and Integration tabs will be changed.
In addition to a Unique ID, each Brillium assessment has an Assessment Key (referred to as an “Exam Password” in Thinkific). Like the Unique ID, this is automatically generated when an assessment is created but can be changed, if desired.
To change the Assessment Key, choose the Properties tab when in Assessment Builder and select the Change button.
To view an Assessment Key:
- Select Assessments from the main menu
- Select the ellipse icon next to the Assessment, located under the Actions column
- Select the link icon from the action menu that appears
- The Assessment Key is the series of alpha-numeric characters that follow the “=” symbol
Select the Requirements tab.
The Requirements tab is where the Logout Options are defined. In Assessment Builder, Logout Options tell Brillium where to send assessment results and return the student after the assessment is completed.
When students have completed the assessment, they will be directed back to Thinkific. This action will also ensure that the assessment results are properly received and processed by Thinkific for the related Exam lesson. This is accomplished by customizing the Feedback summary screen Logout button and associated action.
- Navigate to the Assessment Logout Options section of the Feedback tab.
- Next to Button Action, select Web Link
- Change the Button Label as desired (i.e. “Return to the Course”, see below for further explanation)
- In the Link After Assessment field, enter the specific link back to the exam defined in the Thinkific course player. This is the URL for the Thinkific page where the student clicked the button to begin the exam.
The student must select the Logout button for Thinkific to properly receive and process the assessment results. It is recommended that the logout button label be named in a way that reflects and encourages this action. Example button labels may include "Return to Course", "Review My Results", or "Confirm My Score".
It is also recommended that the Ending Instructions within the Feedback tab inform and encourage students to return to the course exam page that launched the assessment.
Select the Feedback tab.
The Feedback tab is where the end of assessment summary information and instructions are defined. When creating a test, quiz, or certification exam in Brillium, a Passing Score for the assessment must be defined.
When defining a passing score in Brillium, it is important to ensure the score matches the passing score defined in Thinkific.
To define a passing score, enter the score percentage number in the Passing Score field on the Feedback tab. The number must be between 1 and 100.
Select the Integration tab.
The Integration tab is where parameters are defined to indicate where Brillium will send results once the assessment is completed. There are several integration methods available in Brillium, but to send student assessment results to Thinkific, the POST-FORM method must be used.
To define assessment integration parameters for an assessment, perform the following steps:
- Select POST – Form from the Integration method list
- The Link Password field may be left blank (see additional information under Defining the Exam Setup in Thinkific )
- Select Blind Post from the Postback Method list
- The Postback URL field defines the Thinkific provided URL for Brillium to send the assessment results. This is typically in the form: “https://yourdomain.thinkific.com/brillium_notify”.
Be sure to use the Thinkific provided URL, and not the Thinkific custom domain if one has been set up. If assistance identifying your Thinkific site URL is required, please contact the Thinkific Support team.
With all of the settings defined in Brillium, return to the Thinkific account to create an Exam lesson.
Brillium Exam Setup in Thinkific
The final step is to define the Exam lesson in Thinkific with the proper settings to launch the assessment, sending the student to the Brillium exam, and ensuring the results are properly received by Thinkific when the exam is complete.
Create a Thinkific Exam Lesson
Within the Thinkific account, create an Exam lesson and enter the proper information in the following fields:
- Title: Enter an exam title.
- Brillium Root URL: This is the URL of your Brillium exam. This url will be unique to your account and only include the domain and subdomain portion of your URL. For example, if your Brillium instance is at: https://abccompany.onlinetests.app, the the root URL will be: https://abccompany.onlinetests.app. (see note below for Brillium trial account users)
- Exam ID: The Exam ID is equivalent to the assessment Unique ID in Brillium. (this can be found in Assessment Builder)
- Exam Password: This is equivalent to the Brillium "Assessment Key" defined in Assessment Builder. (for more information refer to the instructions under "Properties ")
- Entry Hash Password: When used, this is defined as the "Link Password" in the Brillium Assessment Builder Integrations tab. While this setting is recommended, it is not required.
- Passing Grade: This can be any number between 1 and 100. Ensure that it is the same value as entered in Brillium within the Assessment Builder Feedback tab under Passing Score.
It is important not to include any other additional information in the ROOT URL field, such as assessment link information like: "?aid= " or anything that appears thereafter. The ROOT URL should ONLY appear in the form: https://yourbrilliuminstance.onlinetests.app or https://yourbrilliuminstance.brillium.com.
When using a Brillium trial account, the Brillium Root URL will be: https://trial.onlinetests.app
For additional information, and to learn how to use all of the additional assessment features and options available in Brillium Assessment Builder, refer to the following knowledge base articles and videos:
Create Assessments with Brillium Assessment Builder
Create Topics with Brillium Assessment Builder
Create Questions with Brillium Assessment Builder
Additional Question Options